About your meter
Reading your meter
If you want to check your monthly energy consumption, just follow these steps:
- Write down the date of the last reading by Luz del Sur that appears in your last bill.
- After a month, check the quantity that appears in your counter, where your energy consumption is registered in kilowatt-hour (kW).
- Repeat the operation one month later, and subtract the two quantities that appeared in the counter. The difference between both is your monthly consumption.
- When your new bill arrives, compare the energy consumption that appears in it with the actual consumption obtained in your checking. Quantities must be similar, with a rough 5% margin of error.
Should you not agree with your consumption, request a meter test to check whether it is working properly or not.
Protecting your meter
All you need to know:
Energy consumption costs account for the time you use electricity and the power of the equipment functioning during that period.
The electricity meter allows registering that consumption.
A meter has a use life of over 30 years under normal conditions; therefore, there is no reason for failure or deterioration.
For your meter to live that long without problems, here are some tips.
- Check the condition of the following protection devices
- Safety seal which allows to detect equipment manipulation.
- Metallic lid and viewfinder for observation.
If some of these devices are damaged, call immediately to FONOLUZ: 617-5000, to request repairing.
Remember that you own the meter, you are therefore responsible for its care.
- Prevent meter theft or manipulation
- Meter manipulation is subject to legal sanctions.
- Do not allow strangers to manipulate it.
- Only personnel from Luz del Sur, duly identified, is authorized.
- Do not ever uncover your meter, your measurement mechanism may be altered;furthermore, there is a risk of electrical shock.
- Check periodically if your meter is in its place. It may have been stolen without causing power cuts.